Thad Bracegirdle has practiced law in Delaware since 1997. His practice focuses on representing and advising Delaware corporations, their directors and stockholders in corporate and commercial litigation relating to fiduciary duties, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and other issues concerning Delaware law and federal securities law. Thad also has counseled clients and litigated disputes regarding limited partnerships, limited liability companies and other business entities governed by Delaware law. Thad has experience in all aspects of trial and appellate practice before state and federal courts, including the Delaware Court of Chancery. His experience includes advising and representing clients with respect to stockholder class actions and derivative suits, applications for preliminary injunctive relief, indemnification of officers and directors, requests for access to stockholder lists and corporate books and records, and other issues arising under the General Corporation Law of Delaware. Thad has authored or co-authored several articles on issues of Delaware corporate law in such publications as Corporate Counsel Weekly, Insights, the Tax Management Compensation Planning Journal and Law 360.
Thad graduated in 1997 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he served as Comments Editor for the University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Economic Law. He also graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. He is admitted to practice before the courts of Delaware and Pennsylvania as well as the U.S. District Court of Delaware and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Prior to co-founding Wilks, Lukoff & Bracegirdle, Thad practiced law with Reed Smith LLP, Buchanan Ingersoll PC and Richards, Layton & Finger, P.A.
Thad is a member of the Delaware State Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court. He has received an AV Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating available based on input from practitioners and judges.
Thad's recent experience includes:
- Defending a public accounting firm against former corporate client's malpractice claims arising from officer's misappropriation of funds for personal use.
- Securing jurisdiction, through successful appeal to Delaware Supreme Court, over a foreign business entity based on allegations that it aided and abetted breaches of fiduciary duty committed by managers of a Delaware LLC.
- Representing one of the world’s largest insurance brokerage companies in multiple stockholder derivative actions before the Court of Chancery.
- Defending an engineering software development company against claims that it aided and abetted the alleged misappropriation of intellectual property by directors of a Delaware corporation.
- Serving as trial counsel for majority shareholders in an appraisal proceeding before the Court of Chancery and defending against allegations of unfair dealing in a cash-out merger.
- Representing a former managing director of a multinational investment bank in an action seeking advancement of legal fees and expenses under Delaware law.
- Obtaining a post-trial judgment in favor of a pharmaceutical care and clinical research company for breach of a noncompetition agreement by a former officer and director of the company.
- Representing a medical device company in prosecuting claims for securities law violations and breach of confidentiality agreements against anonymous users of internet message boards.
- Serving as trial counsel for preferred shareholders in expedited litigation before the Court of Chancery contesting the control of the board of directors of a biometric technology company.